"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, September 26, 2011

DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE by Laini Taylor

Last year I read LIPS TOUCH THREE TIMES by Laini Taylor and fell in love with the worlds she created and with her writing. I truly wanted an entire novel in the third of the three short stories she'd written. Sadly it didn't happen. Still, I'm thrilled that Laini's newest book, absolutely follows through on all bars set.

DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE by Laini Taylor (Little, Brown, September 27, 2011)


Above all else, Laini's writing is so, so pretty. Her words are seriously like poetry, and her descriptions have not been rivaled in anything I've yet read in the young adult world. It's like she has a style all of her own, and no matter what subject matter she chooses to write, it will be unique. This is the case with DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE. It's a story of angels and the demons they battle. And it's a love story. Which may not sound like anything out of the ordinary. This is why books shouldn't be judged by cover copy all on its own. DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE is like no other story you've read. The characters are deep and well-carved, the setting and world is mystical and yet so real, and the prose is perfect.

Highly recommended for fans of Laini Taylor's prior books or those paranormal fans who are looking for a bit more depth.



From Amazon:

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?


Source of book: From publisher at ALA

8 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I really want to read this. And I think I'm going to a book signing on Thursday with Laini.

Tere Kirkland said...

I loved this book so much! Got the ARC, gave it away and now I'm going to have to download it to my nook.

Angela Brown said...

This sounds like such a wonderful book.

PJ Hoover said...

Very cool, Natalie! That will be awesome. Her hair is definitely pink.

I know what you mean, Tere! It's worth reading twice.

It's great, Angela. Totally recommend!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I'm dying to read this. I adored her earlier books, and this sounds amazingly good.

PJ Hoover said...

If you adored her other books, then you should love this one, Tricia! Hope you're doing great!

Miriam Forster said...

I loved LIPS TOUCH.

LOVED IT.

I plan to snatch this up the first chance I get. *plots*

PJ Hoover said...

Miriam, if you loved LIPS (like me), then you will love this one. Totally buy-worthy.