"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Introducing HEATHER CASHMAN and PERCEPTION

I'm thrilled to introduce you to another indie author I've recently met and her brand new book.

PERCEPTION (The Tigers' Eye Trilogy) by Heather Cashman


PERCEPTION, though a post-apocalyptic story, read like high fantasy to me. It's strongly based in the connections between people and the world around them, and has its roots in genetic experimentation. As for comparative titles, it had a bit of a Philip Pullman or a Joni Sensel (think FARWALKER'S QUEST) feel to me. I'd recommend it for those looking for something different in today's young adult market, fans of science fiction, adventure, and dystopia.

*****

And now we have a chance to talk with Heather about her life, her story, and all things I'm interested in :)


PJH: I love the story idea of PERCEPTION! It sounds like a must-read! What made you decide to indie-publish?

HC: I didn't really want to publish at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did. But this was supposed to be something I thought only my friends and family would want to read. I took it seriously, because I wanted it to be as perfect as possible, but never thought it would be successful. I am so excited that so many people are loving it!

PJH: What has been the funnest thing about having your book out in the world?

HC: There is a great sense of connection I feel with people who enjoy the world of Perception. I love it when they tell me their favorite quotes or their favorite parts. It makes me happy to give others the enjoyment and escape I found while writing it.


PJH: How about the most challenging? Or has it all been sunshine and lollipops?

HC: The most challenging was formatting and putting everything up on the internet. It was a huge learning process. The other challenge is having readers who expect the next novel. I am always worried that something will happen and I won't make it. But I am trying.


PJH: What's the funnest part of marketing for you? Least fun?

HC: The best part of marketing is meeting other authors and especially readers. I still choke when people want my autograph. The least fun is being stressed out about deadlines. Before publishing, this was all just a way to enjoy myself. It was a completely selfish endeavor that has become one of the best experiences of my life. I'm not promoting selfishness, mind you, but rather having a hobby you can be passionate about and share to make the world a better place.


PJH: If you had to give five reasons why someone should read PERCEPTION, what would they be?

HC:
  1. Escape.
  2. Excitement.
  3. Living vicariously.
  4. Exploring your imagination.
  5. A chuckle now and then.

PJH: Okay, for fun:

PJH: Favorite myth?
HC: Currently Persephone, thanks to you, PJ.
PJH: Aw, thank you!

PJH: Favorite wonder of the world (ancient wonders count, too)?
HC: Grand Canyon. I used to go there every Christmas.

PJH: Fantasy Island or Love Boat?
HC: I watched both for different reasons. Love boat was sappy but romantic. Fantasy Island was always a mystery.

PJH: Scooby Doo character you are most like?
HC: Shaggy. I'm always scared and love to eat.


*****

From Amazon:

Your perception will sharpen once you see through a tiger’s eyes.

More than five hundred years after the apocalypse, the survivors of off-grid genetic experimentation have refined their mixed DNA to the point that humans and their animal counterparts share physical and mental links. Varying species have divided into districts, living in a tenuous peace under the President of Calem.

Ardana and her tiger ingenium Rijan leave their life of exile and abuse in the Outskirts, setting out with their twin brothers to redeem themselves and become citizens of the Center. But shedding their past isn’t as easy as they had hoped. When the system that shunned them becomes embroiled in political conflict and treachery, their unique abilities and experiences from the Outskirts make them invaluable to every faction. The runaways become pawns to friends as well as enemies, and with every step it becomes more difficult to tell which is which.

No comments: