"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN by Ransom Riggs

Maybe I'm the only person in the universe, but I had never heard of this book until I saw it appear on the Children's Chapter Books NYT Bestseller list (yes, I check the list).

MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN by Ransom Riggs (Quirk Books, June 7, 2011)


I guess the title caught my eye and I googled it (since I had never heard of it). And the unique photography was the true selling point. It just looked so...peculiar.

So what is this book? It's a unique tale about a boy trying to learn the truth about his grandfather's strange past. From page one, the story caught me with its voice, and the compelling nature had me reading to find out what would happen next. I could not imagine what the big secret was! And why there were all these freaky pictures? And what kind of story could the author weave with these pictures?

MISS PEREGRINE'S is like a four-leaf clover. It's a wonderful find amid a sea of books so similar in nature. And though the book is marketed for young adults, this is absolutely a book adults will enjoy equally. If you are looking for something different with great character development and a strong plot, then MISS PEREGRINE'S should not be missed. Highly recommended! I loved it!

Source of Book: Purchased

And I have to mention that this book trailer is one of the most compelling I have seen yet.



From Amazon:

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

10 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

What an awesome book trailer! I loved it. Sold.

PJ Hoover said...

Yeah, the book trailer did a lot in making my decision to buy. I had to have it! And it's a pretty great price right now, too.

Sophia Chang said...

I know, wasn't this book AMAZING? I almost didn't read it too - I'd bought it as a mistaken gift! I raved about it on Afterglow.

Beth Kephart said...

I had fun with this book. I fell most in love with those vintage photographs. The etherial fog.

PJ Hoover said...

How funny, Sophia. It was a spur-of-the-minute buy for me too, and so glad I did!

The photos sold me, Beth. They were so intriguing. Now I want to collect vintage photos. :)

Rebecca said...

Oh, this one is on my reading list. And I just happen to have an Amazon gift card to spend! Thanks for the reminder.

Angela Brown said...

I must shamefully admit that the book cover seemed interesting but didn't draw me to it. The title seemed intriguing though.

BUT

That book trailer is wicked awesome. I love it. Better make sure it's on my TBR list.

PJ Hoover said...

Yay, Rebecca! I hope you enjoy it. I think it is fabulous.

It's funny, Angela, because there was just something so intriguing about the cover to me. It's so different, and I can't place it. But I had to read it.

Miriam Forster said...

That trailer and those photos give me chills. Good chills.

I want this book.

PJ Hoover said...

Miriam, I think you would love it!