"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, October 17, 2011

CINDER by MARISSA MEYER

I have to start by saying I love this book. As far as big-hype books go, this one totally hits the mark! I love when that happens :)

I remember being pitched this book at NCTE like a year ago by one of the marketing peeps at Feiwel & Friends and adoring the idea of cyborgs replacing standard humans in fairytale retellings. So I waited patiently until ARCs were available.

CINDER: BOOK ONE IN THE LUNAR CHRONICLES by Marissa Meyer (Feiwel & Friends, January 3, 2012)


Aside from the general premise, I really wasn't sure what to expect. Many of the elements played right into the retelling of Cinderella. And the thing was, instead of feeling done-before, these elements were totally (totally) endearing. But aside from the awesome retelling part of the story, what really set CINDER apart was the future setting complete with a reworked world government, huge medical advances, and a race of special humans who live on the moon. Combine that with some wicked family dynamics, hot romance, and an author who is not afraid to kill off characters, and what comes out is a story that is not to be missed. I'm already waiting for the next book in the series (oy, why must it take so long?).

CINDER is highly recommended for fans, seventh grade and up, of science fiction, fantasy, or fairytale retellings who are looking for something fresh in the market. I'll definitely put it in my top reads of the year. Totally worth checking out!

Source of book: From publisher by request

From Amazon:

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

7 comments:

javaintheam said...

I loved this book too! It was so original that I forgot it was a retelling of Cinderella.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Oooooo, sounds like one I'd love. Thanks for the rec.

Elle Strauss said...

Okay, another book for my heaping TBR pile! Thanks for the review.

Natalie Aguirre said...

This sounds really good. I need to read it. Thanks.

PJ Hoover said...

I know what you mean, java! It really flowed so well.

Tricia, Elle, and Natalie, you guys will really love it!

trailsofthepen said...

I seem to start collecting modern re-telling of famous characters. :D Have you read "Juliet Immortal" by Stacy Jay? I'll be checking this book out. :D

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Trails! I have read Juliet Immortal and thought is was such a unique story and a great twist on the classic.
I really loved CINDER!
Thanks for visiting!