"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

TANGLED TIDES by Karen Amanda Hooper

I had the very fortunate luck of reading this back in August, and for the two days I read it, I could not put it down. Seriously. All I wanted to do was read the book, so my nose was stuck in my Nook until I finished.

TANGLED TIDES by Karen Amanda Hooper (Rhemalda Publishing, November 25th, 2011)


First off, I have to say, I don't think I have ever read another mermaid book. I'd seen SPLASH like a million years ago back in the 80s, and though it was cute, mermaids were just not something I thought I cared much about. That is until I read TANGLED TIDES. I have a whole new opinion of them now.

I'll admit it. I am a sucker for romance. But, with this in mind, I want romance to really sizzle and to really work. And I want those moments of frustration between the characters, but I don't want them to last too long. And in all these aspects, TANGLED TIDES comes through big time. But don't think this story is simply some fluffy romance. There are real world consequences to the tune of an entire race dying off and war between sea creatures. And, like so many good stories, the main characters have to solve their own problems or all will be lost.

Okay, enough rambling. In short, I loved this book. I was honored to be an early reader, and I will recommend this one to everyone I can. Full of deception, forbidden love, and intrigue, TANGLED TIDES is a story best savored but impossible to put down.

*And on a final note, the publisher has this book for a great price if you pre-order (which you should). So definitely check it out!

From Goodreads:

Yara Jones doesn’t believe in sea monsters—until she becomes one.

When a hurricane hits her island home and she wakes up with fins, Yara finds herself tangled up in an underwater world of mysterious merfolk and secretive selkies. Both sides believe Yara can save them by fulfilling a broken promise and opening the sealed gateway to their realm, but they are battling over how it should be done. The selkies want to take her life. The merfolk want something far more precious.

Treygan, the stormy-eyed merman who turned Yara mer, will stop at nothing and sacrifice everything to protect his people—until he falls for Yara. The tides turn as Yara fights to save herself, hundreds of sea creatures, and the merman who has her heart. She could lose her soul in the process—or she might open the gateway to a love that’s deeper than the oceans.

Young Adult fans of Mermaids, Selkies, Sirens and Gorgons will love this tale of the sacrifice one makes for genuine love. Love that could be lost at any moment to the ever-changing tides.


Source of book: From author

8 comments:

Kristin Rae said...

It's on my list! Glad to hear how much you loved it :)

Angela Brown said...

I shivered...just imagining the trauma of a terrible hurricane then awakening to a whole different body. That would be great if it meant trading off flabby for tight-and-abtastic, but fins? Wow.

Your review gives the book a bit of an extra appeal. Will have to put it on my list.

Thanks for sharing.

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

PJ, thanks so much for the spectacular review and for your amazing blurb. This review brought happy tears to my eyes. And it was my first review so double thanks! <3

Kristin, my characters love being on your list! :) I hope you like them.

Angela, yes, my MC wakes up in shock. And maybe a little bit pissed off. ;)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for the great review. This is already on my list to read. Can't wait!

Matthew MacNish said...

You're so lucky you got an advance copy! I love Karen, and am really looking forward to this one.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Once upon a time I wrote a mermaid story :) So I'm very excited to read this one!

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful Blog.

Stopping by from the SPOOKTACULAR GIVEAWAY HOP.

NEW FOLLOWER.

Elizabeth

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

A Backwards Story said...

I've been really looking forward to reading this, and hearing you talk about how much you enjoyed it excites me!!

Yesterday, another new mermaid book came out: BETWEEN THE SEA AND SKY by Jaclyn Dolamore. I read an ARC this summer and LOVED it!!