"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, October 28, 2011

YA AUTHOR CLUB: Be Afraid

It's time again for the YA Indie Carnival, an awesome group of weekly bloggers blogging about the same topic! This week's topic?

MY FAVORITE SCARES!

With Halloween only a few days away (as my daughter reminds me every day when she asks "how many more days"), we're going with the whole scare theme. There actually is a book I read recently that scared the bejesus out of me, but since I'm going to review it next week, I won't mention it here. Instead, I'll go with this...

My favorite scary movie:
THE SHINING. The original version. I'm sure the remake miniseries was good and more true-to-story, but I loved the Jack Nicholson version.

http://www.horrorphile.net/images/the-shining-movie-poster1.jpg

My favorite scary memory:
Sneaking into an ancient graveyard at midnight while in college. I had the hardest time actually forcing myself to step foot inside.

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/localhistory/full/lh283.jpeg


My favorite scary childhood game:
The Ouija board. I could NEVER bring myself to actually complete a Bloody Mary round.

http://www.greatdreams.com/ouija.gif

My favorite scary short story:
THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER by Edgar Allen Poe. Yikes, this was creepy.

http://www.1000misspenthours.com/posters/posterse-g/fallofthehouseofusher.jpg

My favorite scary song:
THE MONSTER MASH (which I know is in no way scary, but it is fun and should be played at any Halloween event).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6d/Monster_Mash_cover.jpg/220px-Monster_Mash_cover.jpg


My favorite scary ride:
The Tower of Terror at DisneyWorld. I could go on it over and over again (and have). This ride rocks.
http://www.onlinetravelguide.biz/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Tower-of-Terror_03.jpg

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

For a list of all blogs participating, check out the YA Author Club website!

5 comments:

RaShelle Workman said...

I've never played the ouija board. I'm a total SCARES wimp. My dad read my brothers and sisters and I THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW and it scared the crap out of me. Big chicken! That's me.

PJ Hoover said...

I know what you mean, RaShelle! The only thing that made Sleepy Hollow work for me was the scooby doo episode with it. I am no longer afraid. Actually, I would like to see the recent movie of it.
Thanks for visiting!

Angela Brown said...

Scaredy cat here, reporting for duty. Um, me and ouija boards have not seen the light of each other. I would be too afraid. Got to love that coming from someone who loves vampires, ghosts romance and other paranormals but squees at her own shadow occasionally lol!!!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

oh, i used to love ouija board but we used to make it move.

PJ Hoover said...

Too funny, Angela, how certain things freak us out. The cemetery thing for me was so scary!

LOL, Shelli! You know, I read an article about that recently, how the mind subconsciously takes control and makes it move. Big surprise :)