"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, October 07, 2011

YA INDIE CARNIVAL: My Favorite Character to Write in SOLSTICE

It's time again for the YA Indie Carnival, an awesome group of weekly bloggers blogging about the same topic! This week's topic?

MY FAVORITE CHARACTER TO WRITE

Honestly, I love so many of the characters in SOLSTICE mainly because I feel like they are all so different. I posted on my main characters last week, so just for something different, I'm going to pick my favorite minor character to write.

In SOLSTICE, the main character Piper spends a bit of time in the Underworld, and if you know anything about the Underworld from Greek mythology, not all parts of it are sweet, green pastures. In fact some of these places are downright scary, and the people that have been damned to live in these places are rotten.

So Piper heads to Tartarus, the worst of the worst places in the Underworld. She meets some bad guys. And of these bad guys, the one I adored writing was Tantalus. If you don't know the story of Tantalus*, it's one not to miss. See, Tantalus offered a sacrifice by killing his son, cutting him up, and boiling him into soup. And then, when the gods came to dinner, he served the soup. And Demeter, being a bit distraught and scatterbrained, ate the soup. Yuck.

Tantalus was guilty of cannibalism, human sacrifice, and infanticide, and was sentenced to eternity in Tartarus. And there in Tartarus, his punishment was to always be within close reach of food and water, but when he reached for either, they receded. So he eternally starved.

Now Piper is in Tartarus, and she gets to meet Tantalus (yes, I realize the two names are very similar...I didn't create them). So he's this crazy hungry guy who wants to nibble on her shoulders and lips (or even a little finger should she place one too close). But he never can, and so he begs and pleads for just a little snack. Very fun to write! But it seems like many times the bad guys are :)

* You can read all about Tantalus on Wikipedia, the source of all knowledge :)

For a list of all posts, visit all the blogs!





12 comments:

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Tantalus! What an appropriate name for someone who can never get what he desires.
I agree that writing the bad characters can be great fun. I've got one now that I adore even if she's horrible.

Madeline Smoot said...

What a strange and slightly ick tale. The Greeks had wild imaginations (or some very twisted citizens.)

roro said...

lol yea they r

PJ Hoover said...

And the ick factor may be why they've stuck around so long :)

Good luck with the bad, Tricia :)

T. R. Graves said...

I've never acknowledged the fun to be had when writing about the villians. I'll rectify that right now. I'm at a perfect spot in Guardians of the Cross to test the theory.

PJ Hoover said...

have fun, T. R.. It's an evil way to have fun :)

Patti Larsen said...

Bad guys are so fun--especially when they are a little nuts! Very cool--and I was always a fan of that myth.

PJ Hoover said...

Me, too, Patti! I just loved bringing it to life.

Angela Brown said...

There are so many things in mythos that it seems like forever and a day would pass and there'd still be more to learn, especially since there are so many pantheons: Greek, Roman, Indian, Mayan, Norse, Celtic, Japanese...just goes on and on.

PJ Hoover said...

I know, Angela! I read a great book "Don't know much about Mythology" which I highly recommend reading (and then reading again) :). Loved it!

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

I was so creeped out by that scene, yet I couldn't look away. I loved how it turned out though. ;)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Karen! That is exactly what I was going for :)