"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, November 04, 2011

ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD by Kendare Blake

So I mentioned last week that I'd read a book that scared the heck out of me. Seriously, there was one scene so well written and creepy, that after I read it and turned out the light, I checked under the bed. Yikes! When is the last time that happened?

ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD by Kendare Blake (Tor Teen, August 30, 2011)


I first fell in love with this book for two totally superficial reasons. (1) The cover rocked. I saw it and was so intrigued that I had to know what it was all about. (2) The title was just beyond clever and amazing. But just because a book has a good cover and title...well, you guys know. Still, I brought it home and read it in two sittings.

What did I love about this book besides the cover and title? Well, the story was amazing, the settings were so vivid, I can still see them in my mind. The characters made me care about them. And wow that the author was not afraid to kill people. I can't say I was sorry to see them go (but no spoilers).

I totally recommend ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD if you're looking for something fresh in the YA paranormal market or if you like a good scare (and I do mean good. This isn't scare just for the sake of scare. It's crafty scare, and so well done). I'm already looking forward to the next book in the series (and yes, there is one!). Sweet. And scary :)

Source of book: Purchased





From Amazon:

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: track, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, now stained red and dripping with blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

But she, for whatever reason, spares Cas's life.

9 comments:

April said...

I read this book last month. I loved it so much. If I was to become friends with any Ghost, it would totally be Anna.. screw Casper.. he's old knews. :)

PJ Hoover said...

I'm with you, April! I'm ready to follow Anna on another adventure :)

Angela Brown said...

So I am with you on the book cover. It is very appealing to my shallow "book cover" nature.

And I loved that book trailer.

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Angela! It is one of the best covers I've seen in ages!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

That trailer is killer! Now I've got to read this--you looked under the bed!

trailsofthepen said...

"He kills the dead." What a different way to describe that same vocation as Sam and Dean Winchester from a show called "Supernatural." At first, I didn't quite understand the first line of the summary (think I'm coming down with a flu) and then, as I read on, I got it. A modern day ghost chaser so to speak but this Anna looks like one mean ghost. *shivers* I'll definitely read this book when the sun's up. :D

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Trails! I've never seen Supernatural, but I have heard some comparisons (in a good way) to the show.
it's fun to be scared, right? :)

trailsofthepen said...

Oh, I hope you'll get to watch it. :) I did came down with a flu and I don't know. I guess it's good to be scared once in a while. lolz. ~Raine~

PJ Hoover said...

Hope you feel better, Raine!

Tricia, it was a really great read! You will totally love it :)