"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO by Patrick Ness

This book came out about three years ago, and I have to admit that, although it intrigued me from the very start, I was totally hesitant to read it.

THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO by Patrick Ness (Candlewick, September 2008)


See, I'd read some reviews for the book that mentioned that although it was a great book, it was very sad. And I was kind of thinking I was not all about the sad part. I like happy things, or things so buried in the fantasy world that I can one hundred percent distance myself from what happens (think MOCKINGJAY). But the e-book recently went on sale for $1.99, and I snatched it up and gave it a try.

Was the book very good? It was fantastic. It was deep and the characters were real. I cared so much for them as they traveled across their world in search of safety. Was the book sad? Sure. But a lot of books are sad, but in this case, this is not a reason to avoid the book. It's sad because we care, but I also didn't feel the author's hand. Everything that happened was because of a reason, and all actions led to the culmination of the story.

As far as dystopians go, this one rises to the top of the pack. It is unique (you know, this is a science fiction book set on an alien world?). It is amazingly written. It is something that should definitely go on the to-be-read list. It's great for boys and girls alike, so for those looking for "guy reading," make sure to check it out. Yes, the content is definitely YA, so seventh grade and up. I'm happy I finally checked it out. Highly recommended.

Source of book: Purchased e-book in $1.99 sale

7 comments:

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I've also heard good things about A Monster Calls. Especially after this review, I'm going to read his books. I love fantasy/sci-fi/dystopian that have depth.

PJ Hoover said...

Me, too, Tricia. I'm halfway through A Monster Calls. It's getting tons of great press. Award winner, I'm thinking...

Carrie said...

I have been thinking I should give this series a try. So many people love it. Thanks for the review!

Matthew MacNish said...

I'm reading A Monster Calls right now. It's my first Ness novel. Good stuff.

Sherrie Petersen said...

I totally loved this book. I borrowed it from a friend and then I had to go buy the next two so I could read them all. He's an awesome writer. When my son is old enough, he's definitely reading these.

C.R. Evers said...

Sounds awesome! I'll have to get this one!

PJ Hoover said...

Carrie, if you've been thinking you want to, I definitely recommend. That is exactly where I was with it!

I'll finish A MONSTER CALLS this weekend, Matthew. He has a great way with words.

I haven't started the next two yet, Sherrie, but plan to. So I'm guessing you recommend?

Yes, Christy! Well worth it!

Happy Thanksgiving all!