"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

UNTRACEABLE by S. R. Johannes

I was super happy when I had the chance to review an early copy of this book (which releases today, btw).

UNTRACEABLE by S. R. Johannes (Coleman and Stott, November 295, 2011)


You guys may know S. R. Johannes as the fabulous Shelli Johannes who runs the marketing blog MARKET MY WORDS. I was psyched when I found out Shelli was publishing her book and was one of the first to sign up to read it.

So what is UNTRACEABLE all about? Let's see. It's a story about family. It's a story about adventure. It's got some definite romantic elements (and a love triangle that has a nice, fresh feel to it). It's got layers of deception I never even kind of saw coming. And it's got adventure.

The main character, Grace, does a pretty good job getting herself in all kinds of trouble, but we're going to cut the girl some slack. Her dad has been missing for three months, and everyone, even her mom, presumes he is dead. But Grace never gives up, and this drives her actions forward for the bulk of the story.

UNTRACEABLE is not a fantasy. It deals with real life issues like troubled families, cruelty to animals, and friendships that may be more. What did I love about it? First, the setting above all else. Shelli does an amazing job painting the picture of the Smokey Mountains. I felt like I was running through the woods with her, climbing the hills she climbed and watching the stars at night. Second, the romance, especially with one of the guys, Mo. He was caring yet carried his own secrets. And finally, I loved that Shelli left us nice hope for the sequel. I, for one, am looking forward to this!

Highly recommended for those who enjoy YA adventure with depth and great character development!

Source of book: From author by request


From Amazon:

Grace has lived in the Smokies all her life, patrolling with her forest ranger father who taught her about wildlife, tracking, and wilderness survival.

When her dad goes missing on a routine patrol, Grace refuses to believe he’s dead and fights the town authorities, tribal officials, and nature to find him.

One day, while out tracking clues, Grace is rescued from danger by Mo, a hot guy with an intoxicating accent and a secret. As her feelings between him and her ex-boyfriend get muddled, Grace travels deep into the wilderness to escape and find her father.
Along the way, Grace learns terrible secrets that sever relationships and lives. Soon she’s enmeshed in a web of conspiracy, deception, and murder. And it’s going to take a lot more than a compass and a motorcycle (named Lucifer) for this kick-butting heroine to save everything she loves.

6 comments:

Karen Denise said...

WOW, this sounds awsome! And how beautiful is that cover?! Can't wait to read it.

Heather said...

I'm looking forward to this so much! It's at the top of my holiday wish list. And it's one of those things that if I don't find it under the tree, I'll be buying it!

Angela Brown said...

I've had a chane to add this book to my TBR list. I look forward to reading it.

Natalie Aguirre said...

So agree with your review. Having visited the Smokey Mountains I really thought Shelli did an awesome job with the setting and the whole mystery.

PJ Hoover said...

I know, Karen! That cover is WOW!!!!!

You will love it, Heather! What a great gift :)

It's a great addition to the list, Angela! My TBR list grows every day. Isn't it crazy?

We both have great taste, Natalie! And yes, the mystery was very well done!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

Thanks you guys!