"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, November 18, 2011

YA AUTHOR CLUB: YA FANTASY on the Rise

It's time again for the YA Indie Carnival, an awesome group of weekly bloggers blogging about the same topic! This week's topic?

YA FANTASY ON THE RISE?

So many books being published these days are YA Fantasy. Why is that? Maybe I don't have all the reasons, but I'll give you five.

1) Fantastical elements make for great covers. And let's face it: people do judge books by their covers.

2) Everyone wanted to try Turkish Delight when they first read THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE. And from this, an early love of fantasy was born.

3) Kids and teens need to be hooked right away, and as a result, YA writing is tight. There aren't a bunch of extra words everywhere to clutter up the pages.

4) Deep down, we all want special powers. For me, it was Jedi powers. I wanted to be able to get my light saber with telekinesis alone.

5) Maybe if we keep reading about fantasy worlds, one of them will actually turn out to be real. Like there could be a world of mythology of faerie parallel to our own, right?


For a list of all blogs participating, check out the YA Author Club website!

10 comments:

Mary said...

I do love some well-written fantasy! And it can be lighter fare than the mass of dystopians (which I love) that are currently HOT. I'd like more urban fantasy in the YA market, when worlds blend & everyone knows... but I'd be happy if YA fantasy were the next trend (not just paranormal, which I love, too!).

Darby Karchut said...

Oooooh! Jedi powers are the best!

Heather said...

Jedis powers ARE cool but I want to be able to teleport

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks for visiting, Mary! I love the dystopians, too, but they do tend to have that darker element. I wonder if we will see more pure fantasy cropping up.

Go Jedi, right Darby? :)

Teleporting would be awesome, Heather. I'm working on it!

Patti Larsen said...

excellent points! Mmmmmmmmm... Turkish Delight... one of my favorite books growing up!

PJ Hoover said...

Totally me, too, Patti!

A Backwards Story said...

This would make me so happy! I want more well-written fantasy. I recently enjoyed THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS by Rae Carson and INCARNATE by Jodi Meadows in this category. I also like the new dystopian twist that has fantasy elements such as kingdoms and royalty like THE PLEDGE by Kimberly Derting, which I just read, and the upcoming THE SELECTION by Kiera Cass!! (I want this so desperately...)

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Bonnie, I have the girl of fire and thorns on my bedside table and have heard great things about it. I need to get to it! I haven't read the pledge, but it is getting great press. And the selection amuses me enough that i want to read it :)
Talk to you soon!

Raine said...

All great points. :D

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Raine! And thanks for visiting!