So you know a writer and you aren't sure what to get him or her for the holidays? Look no more! We here at THE PLACE, being (those that chimed in) E. Kristin Anderson, Jenny Moss, Cory Putman Oakes, Colleen Conrad, Jessica Lee Anderson, Bethany Hegedus, and ME, have chimed in to help you in your gift search!
We give you...
THE TOP TEN GIFTS FOR WRITERS (which, we realize, is a bit more than 10)
1) Offer to babysit if they have kids so that they can go to THE PLACE and write.
2) Massage/Spa day, because all that hunching over lap tops makes our backs hurt.
3) SCBWI/RWA/etc conference attendance.
4) Bookshelves. Because you don't know what books they already have, but you know they have a lot and need more space for them!
5) Fingerless gloves, especially here in Texas--it's so hot all the time, we don't know the heater's broken until that ONE DAY it dips below freezing. And then our fingers are ice, and typing is torture.
6) Coffee. French press, espresso, regular old drip. Also, wine.
7) Fancy file folders, pretty post-its, a 10-pack of Sharpie highlighters, and more colored pens than you think a human could possibly use. Then, at least we'll have nice stuff to look at when revision is (supposed to be) happening.
8) A special pen for signing books (although I always forget mine)
9) A gift certificate to bookstore to buy research/craft books
10) A copy of Scrivener
11) Nice versions of common desk reference books: dictionary, thesaurus, Chicago Manual, etc
12) Small, snazzy notebooks for jotting down story ideas
13) Rare editions of books they find inspirational and/or their favorite books
14) A comfy shawl/small blanket for chilly writing days
15) An intravenous coffee drip
16) Coupons for "Guilt Free Twitter/Social Media Time" for promotion
17) A nice, honest review of one of their books on Amazon/Goodreads/etc
18) Health insurance
19) A muse
20) CDs and/or iTunes giftcards (music fuels inspiration!)
21) Mugs and pint glasses
22) File folders, labels, accordion folders, etc. to assist with organization
23) Fancy tea samplers
24) A comfy desk chair
25) A flash drive
26) A writing retreat (doesn't have to be fancypants)
27) Bottles of Excedrin Migraine
28) A subscription to a fancy magazine--New Yorker, Hunger Mountain
29) Slipper socks
30) PJs that feel good to write in
31) A tech class
32) Book bouquets ala Stephanie Pellegrin! (or etsy)
33) Buying your book as a gift for everyone on their holiday list!
Hope your holiday is great :)