"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, January 06, 2012

BEST OF THE BEST 2011

It's been a great year of reading. Actually, it's just been a great year, but that's not what this post is all about. It's about books that I've read, which ones I loved, and why.

So my total number of books read went down this year due to a few reasons:
  1. I decided it didn't matter how many books I finished. I'm in a good enough reading habit that I opted against going for a number.
  2. I gave myself permission to stop reading (or listening) to a book if either I didn't like it or if it didn't grab me (because of (1) above). I took full advantage of this new allowance.
  3. I read a lot more critique manuscripts.

With this in mind, I finished reading (or listening to) 64 published books this year, and of those, 7 stand out. (And please note that in general, I don't include very good friend's books in this list because it's too hard to draw the line).

So, my best reads of 2011 are (in order read, except for my very favorite which I've moved to the top)...

*****

READY PLAYER ONE by Ernest Cline (Crown, August 16, 2011)
Audiobook
Adult Science fiction/Dystopian
My favorite book of the year! And an amazing audiobook listen.
My full review here.


*****

ROOM by Emma Donoghue (Little, Brown, September 2010)
Audiobook
Adult fiction
This book made me cry uncountable times. A fantastic audiobook listen.
My full review here.



***

ASHES by Ilsa Bick (Egmont, September 6, 2011)
Print
Young Adult post-apocalyptic
A creepy, creepy book with a great premise done well!
My full review here.



*****

LEGEND by Marie Lu (Putnam, November 29, 2011)
Print
Young Adult Dystopian
One of the best examples of dual POV I've read. And yay for good romance!
My full review here.



*****

MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN by Ransom Riggs (Quirk Books, June 7, 2011)
Print
Young Adult Fantasy
So unusual, and such a unique blend of photography and words.
My full review here.




*****

CINDER: BOOK ONE IN THE LUNAR CHRONICLES by Marissa Meyer (Feiwel & Friends, January 3, 2012)
Print
Young Adult Dystopian
A super-unique spin on the fairy tale. Well worth the read!
My full review here.


*****


REVOLUTION by Jennifer Donnelly (Delacorte, October 12, 2010)
Print
Young Adult Historical, Contemporary, Science Fiction
How historical fiction should be written. A beautiful book!
My full review here.


*****

Here's to a great year of reading in 2012 ahead!

4 comments:

Kim Baccellia said...

Wow, you have some that I loved too. I enjoyed LEGEND, can't wait to read more of CINDER **BN has the first 5 chapters available for free**

Totally loved ASHES and REVOLUTION. Someone told me I'd like ROOM but the premise sounds too intense for me.

I read 100 books last year and still didn't get to some other big name books.

Yes, I also agree 2011 had some great reads!

PJ Hoover said...

I can't believe you haven't read CINDER yet, Kim! You will love it. I think we must have really similar reading tastes. It seems like we always like the same books!

SusieBookworm (Susanna) said...

Ready Player One ended up on the favorites list of both my brother and I. Cinder didn't quite make it, though it was a great retelling.

PJ Hoover said...

It was an amazing book, wasn't it, Susie. And Cinder I ended up loving b/c of the romance and how clever the retelling came out. Plus I gave it extra points for being sci-fi :)