"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, January 09, 2012

DIABOLICAL by Cynthia Leitich Smith

So I gave this book away last month, but I haven't properly reviewed it because I was mid-reading it at the time. I've been done for ages, but wanted to save my review until closer to the release date.

DIABOLICAL by Cynthia Leitich Smith (Candlewick, January 24, 2012)


In honor of this being the fourth installment in Cynthia Leitich Smith's bestselling series, I offer you this darling picture of four Vamplets I took just this morning (yes, this is what I do once the kids go off to school).



So what do four vamplets and the fourth book in Cyn's series have in common? Well, it's hard to make new Vamplets unique, yet each is. And likewise, in writing a series, it's hard to come up with unique, compelling ideas for later books, yet Cynthia manages this beautifully.
(Okay, I wanted to totally just show off my picture of the Vamplets.)

I've been a fan of Cyn's since I first joined the Austin writing community, and I'm happy to consider her my friend. And each time she comes out with a new book, it never fails to wow me. In fact, DIABOLICAL may be my favorite of the series. Cyn takes her characters, puts them in a new situation with all the odds totally against them, and keeps us hanging on every word. And what really dawned on me in DIABOLICAL is how absolutely awesome her two main guy characters really are. Steam comes off the pages in this one.

I highly recommend Cynthia Leitich Smith's books for fans of paranormal creatures (think vampires, were-beings of all sorts, demons...you get the idea). I also highly recommend Cyn's books for those who want to see a more literary side to the paranormal YA genre. Thank you, Cynthia, for yet another awesome read!

I highly recommend Vamplets for those who want stuffed animals that tend toward the dark side. Watch these guys at night.

Perhaps the perfect gift for your YA reader: A brand new copy of DIABOLICAL and a Vamplet to go along with it.


Source of book: From publisher by request

Source of Vamplets: Bought at Comic Con (but they also do online)



From Amazon:

Prepare for a hell of a ride as Cynthia Leitich Smith calls on characters from her previous novels - and conjures up new ones - for a climactic showdown.

When "slipped" angel Zachary and his werewolf pal, Kieren, arrive under suspicious circumstances to a mysterious New England boarding school, they quickly find themselves in a hellish lockdown with an intriguing assortment of secretive, hand-picked students. Plagued by demon dogs, hallucinatory wall d├ęcor, a sadistic instructor, and a legendary fire-breathing monster, will they somehow manage to escape? Or will the devil have his due? Best-selling author Cynthia Leitich Smith unites heroes from the previous three novels in the Tantalize Series - including Zachary's girl, Miranda, and Kieren's love, Quincie - along with a fascinating cast of all-new characters for a suspenseful, action-packed clash between the forces of heaven and hell.

5 comments:

Angela Brown said...

That was an awesome book trailer.

And those vamplets are two adorable. Love it!

Cory Putman Oakes said...

I'm so jealous that you have already read Diabolical! I am impatiently awaiting my preordered copy from Amazon. I *heart* Kieran (and Cynthia too :-))

PJ Hoover said...

I love the trailer, Angela. One of our local illustrators, Jess Crosby, did the artwork of the school at the beginning.

Cory, it's great! You will love it, especially if you enjoyed the first three!

Miriam Forster said...

I desperately want to read this book, and I LOVED the others. Also, those vamplets are somehow cute and creepy! Like little undead cabbage patches... *grin*

PJ Hoover said...

I love that, Miriam! Undead Cabbage Patch dolls :)