"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, January 23, 2012

THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS by Rae Carson

I kept hearing about how fantastic this book was, and I heard it from people I trusted. So when it came time to figure out what to read next, this book was an easy choice. I'll summarize it by saying I was definitely not disappointed! In fact, I loved this book!

THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS by Rae Carson (Greenwillow, September 20, 2011)


What is this book?
It's a high fantasy, but there are a number of things that set it apart from other high fantasies out there. First, it's set with a Spanish influence as a backdrop. I love this unique heritage; it gives the book such a fresh feel. Second, the descriptions and journeys are truly well done. As the characters traveled across the desert, I was right there with them, short on food and water and broiling under the sun. The author captures this world wonderfully.

What did I love about this book?
I loved the magic behind the Godstones. I want to know more about how they work and how they came to be and what makes a person have one. I also loved the romance. I am dying to know what is going to happen in book 2 as far as the romance goes. No spoilers here, but let's just say I am left with almost no predictions.

I highly recommend this book for fans of high fantasy, or for those young adult fantasy fans looking for something a little different or a bit more classic.

Source of book: From publisher at trade show



From Amazon:

Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.

Elisa is the chosen one.

But she is also the younger of two princesses. The one who has never done anything remarkable, and can’t see how she ever will.

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs her to be the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he’s not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies, seething with dark magic, are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people’s savior, and he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.

10 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I LOVED this book. Agree with all your points. Can't wait for the sequel.

PJ Hoover said...

I know, Natalie! I'm really curious to see where it goes!

Angela Brown said...

I've also heard a lot of wonderful things about this novel. I've got it on my TBR. Need to get to it very soon.

PJ Hoover said...

Angela, it's really nice for a novel with a bit more depth. I love shaking up my reading from time to time and trying to find something that goes a little deeper. Enjoy!

Miriam Forster said...

This is an AWESOME book. Seriously. Awesome.

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Miriam! You have great taste, and I can't wait to read your book!

Cialina at Muggle-Born.net said...

Wow, I continue to hear great things about this book. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I really need to get a copy soon!

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Cialina, it was really a joy to read. I love getting immersed in a good world :)

Brenda Demko said...

I haven't read it yet. I hope to soon. I'm glad that you liked it!

PJ Hoover said...

Brenda, I hope you do! It was a great read, and if you like high fantasy, you should love it!