"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, January 13, 2012

YA AUTHOR CLUB: BOOK FOR WHICH I AM MOST GRATEFUL

It's time again for the YA Indie Carnival, an awesome group of weekly bloggers blogging about the same topic! This week's topic?

WHAT BOOK AM I MOST GRATEFUL FOR?

I read lots of books. I've always read lots of book. But of those, there is one that comes to the very top of the list. This book needs about zero introduction, and I don't think I could do it justice if I tried.

THE HOBBIT by J. R. R. Tolkien (George Allen & Unwin, Ltd., 1937)

The cover of my edition

What is so amazing about this book?

1) First, it's the main reason I actually started writing.

2) I spent tons of time immersing myself in the world of Middle Earth. I wanted to live there...

3) I think I would best be an elf. They are definitely the coolest beings.

4) I read and studied THE SILMARILLION.

5) I started thinking that it was a lot of time to spend immersed in someone else's world.

6) I wondered if I could create a world of my own.

7) I gave it a try.

So, I started writing. But I still absolutely love everything about Middle Earth. The mythology. The history. The movies. The books.

I'm beyond excited to the movie, coming this Christmas. It's actually the first movie in ages that I can actually fathom camping out in line to get good seats for. (Whether this becomes a reality in my life is a whole other question.)



And I adore this short film by Gene Deitch which was recently discovered. I think, though he diverges from the Tolkien scripture, what I love best about this is his realization that THE HOBBIT really could use a strong female character :)



Happy Friday! For a list of all blogs participating, check out the YA Author Club website!

8 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

I knew there was a reason I liked you so much. Technically, I read LOTR first, but I love everything Tolkien's ever written.

Have you ever seen: this?

PJ Hoover said...

That is awesome, Matthew! Thank you so much for the link!

Angela Brown said...

Oh The Hobbit. How I adore thee. I also read the LOTR series first then read The Hobbit.

I'm so stoked about this movie coming out. I made sure I saw each and every LOTR movie in the theater within a week of release. I have a feeling I'll be doing the same with this one, maybe even brave a midnight showing.

PJ Hoover said...

I'm with you on the movie, Angela! I can't wait (and I so hope they do an amazing job with it). Must have faith :)

Patti Larsen said...

My dad read me LOTR when I was six... maybe not the most appropriate for a child that age (especially one with such an active imagination) but I know it's the reason I'm a writer today. Great post!

PJ Hoover said...

So funny, Patti, as my daughter is 7 and getting this same thing. Of course my son is 10, so my daughter gets the benefit of getting things earlier.
Thank you!

Cheri Schmidt said...

Great post! I loooved the Hobbit too. It's what sparked my interest in fantasy after outgrowing my Nancy Drew habit. LOL

PJ Hoover said...

Cheri, I agree! I was a huge Nancy Drew fan. I loved the stories and I loved the covers. That was the best reading of the day :)