ALEX VAN HELSING: VAMPIRE RISING by Jason Henderson (Harper, May 4th, 2010)
What is this book? Well, the best thing I can come up with is ALEX VAN HELSING is what happens when Vladimir Tod meets Percy Jackson. Yes, there are vampires in the books. But from the very first sentence until you set the book down late in the night, there is non-stop action, adventure, and a huge dose of vampire mythology. I can already see the movie in my mind.
Five reasons you (or your kid) should read ALEX VAN HELSING:
1) You like young adult books, but you prefer those on the younger end of the scale where heavy romance, bad words, and sexual innuendos have not yet taken over. ALEX VAN HELSING was totally appropriate for 5th grade boys.
2) You love a hero that doesn't automatically know everything. Alex learns along with the rest of us, and I adore his innocent nature.
3) You liked Percy Jackson and are looking for other great books for boys. That said, girls will equally enjoy this series!
4) You think Jason Henderson is cool and enjoy listening to his wacky podcast. Wait, you don't listen? What better time to start than now?
5) You like edge-of-your-seat action and heroes that take big chances with big consequences.
So what are you waiting for? Seriously! Highly recommended!
Source of book: Purchased
(And look, the hardcover is bargain priced on Amazon right now!)
The Van Helsing name reborn
Fourteen-year-old Alex has no idea that he's descended from the world's most famous vampire hunter, but that changes fast when he arrives at Glenarvon Academy and confronts two vampires in his first three days. Turns out Glenarvon isn't the only school near Lake Geneva. Hidden deep underground lies an ancient university for vampires called the Scholomance. And the deadly vampire clan lord known as Icemaker? You might say he's a visiting professor.
When two of Alex's friends are kidnapped by Icemaker, it's up to Alex to infiltrate the Scholomance and get them back—alive. Assisted by the Polidorium, a top-secret vampire-hunting organization with buried ties to the Van Helsings, Alex dodges zombies, bullets, and lots—and lots—of fangs on his way to thwarting Icemaker's plans and fulfilling his family destiny.
And check out book 2, also!