"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, February 17, 2012

Five on a Friday...

...which I know I haven't done in ages!

Happy Friday! Hope you all have the most wonderful day ever :) And here we go!

1) Today starts our local Austin SCBWI conference! If you write books for kids or teens and you've never made it to a conference, what are you waiting for? Seriously! It's a great opportunity to meet other writers (and find potential critique partners), network, and learn a ton about the world of writing and publishing. I'll be picking up Jill Corcoran (not my agent, but from everything I've heard, she's awesome) at the airport this afternoon, and then the fun begins! I'll even be presenting tomorrow afternoon, so if you're going to the conference and your schedule permits, stop in to hear everything I can share about Photoshop and book trailers in under an hour :)

And look! The Texas Sweethearts & Scoundrels make goodie bags for our out-of-town faculty.
And we have a query critique basket up for silent auction, too!



2) Last night marked the last ever Cub Scout event for my son! He got his Arrow of Light (and can I mention I made a very nice arrow for him). It was awesome to look back on the last five years and see what a great accomplishment it really is.


3) If you've been dying to read THE EMERALD TABLET (you know, the first book in my middle grade fantasy/sci-fi trilogy), there is no better time than now! Amazon has the hardcover marked way down, but there are only a few left in stock!
(link here for Amazon)

The hardback cover


The paperback cover (coming this summer)

4) And as for reading, I'm currently reading (and loving) EARTHSEED by Pamela Sargent (Tor Teen, February 28, 2012). You know this book was originally released back in 1983 (I think), and I am amazed at how current the book feels now 30 years later. It's all about a bunch of teens on a generational spaceship heading for a new planet and I am loving it! It's fresh and clever and totally worth the read.
(and look...Paramount pictures has optioned it.)



5) On the Wizard101 front, I'm now a level 39 wizard and going strong! If you've never played, there is no better time to start :)

Don't I look cool!

Happy weekend!

6 comments:

Miriam Forster said...

I would play that, but I'm too busy killing dragons in Skyrim.

Or I would be if I wasn't stuck on the couch right now. :)

Your SCBWI conference sounds so awesome. It's on my "hopefully" list for next year. And by then my book might be out!

*flails*

PJ Hoover said...

LOL, Miriam! I have heard great things about Skyrim. What platform do you play on? I hear PC is the best.
I would *love* if you came to our SCBWI conference! Of course you'd have a free place to stay :)
Yay, your book!!!!!

Kelly Polark said...

Hope you enjoyed the conference! (of course you did!) :)

PJ Hoover said...

Oh, I did, Kelly! It was fabulous! I always love conferences and find I'm inspired afterward. You?

I hope your weekend was great!

Miriam Forster said...

My dad plays on a PC and likes it, but I have it for the Playstation. The video quality is still really good, and it means i can play it while my husband is playing The Old Republic on the computer.

Ooo! Thanks for the offer. I'd love to take you up on that next year. *crosses fingers*

PJ Hoover said...

Sweet! It is a date, Miriam!