THE CHRONAL ENGINE by Greg Leitich Smith (Clarion, March 20, 2012)
Here's what I have to say about THE CHRONAL ENGINE:
1) If you're looking for a fast-paced middle grade adventure/science-fiction story, then this book is for you! The action starts on page one, and it never ends.
2) THE CHRONAL ENGINE is what happens when JURASSIC PARK meets GIDEON THE CUTPURSE. Yes, dinosaurs and time travel all in one awesome place.
3) The characters have serious spunk. They never stop trying to reach their goals. (I think we could all learn a lot from them.)
4) Did I mention Greg Leitich Smith was just awarded as one of the ambassadors of kid-lit in Austin by Austin SCBWI?
5) I've noticed the fun can be revised out of middle grade fiction. Not at all the case with THE CHRONAL ENGINE. This is the kind of adventure I would have desperately wanted to go on as a kid (or heck, even as an adult). It's smart and witty and 100% engaging!
So, yes, boys or girls, third grade or up, don't miss this book! You'll pick it up and won't put it down until you're finished!
Source of book: From publisher by request
When Max, Kyle, and Emma are sent to live with their reclusive grandfather, they think he’s crazy, especially when he tells them about his time machine. But after Emma is kidnapped at the exact time that her grandfather predicted, Max and Kyle are forced to believe his eccentric stories—even the one about the Chronal Engine in the basement.
Now, to save Emma, Max, Kyle, and their new friend Petra must pile into a VW Bug, and use the Chronal Engine to take the road trip of a lifetime—right back to the Cretaceous period. With dangers all around, the teens find themselves dodging car-crushing herbivores in addition to the terrifying T. rex. In this ancient environment, can three contemporary teens hunt down a kidnapper, forage for food, and survive long enough to return home?
Now for your chance to win an ARC of this amazing book along with a signed postcard! It's easy! Two things to note...
1) This giveaway is open until 11:59 on March 3, 2012
2) Contest is US and Canada only!
To enter, fill out the Rafflecopter form below.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
And don't forget I'm also giving away
THE KNIFE AND THE BUTTERFLY by Ashley Hope Pérez (Carolrhoda Books, February 1, 2012)
CLICK HERE TO ENTER!