"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, March 05, 2012

STARTERS by Lissa Price

There are books I enjoy reading, and then there are books I love. I'd been hearing so much hype for this one that I had to move it to the top of the TBR list. And I'm thrilled that once I finished, this wound up in the "books I love" category.

STARTERS by Lissa Price (Delacorte, March 13, 2012)


Okay, you're probably sitting there wondering what makes this book different from other dystopian novels out there. And if this is the case, I'm going to give you five reasons why this should be the book you definitely decide to pick up.

1) I found myself forgetting I was reading. (okay, I know this sounds weird. I'll explain). As a writer, lots of times when I read, I know I am reading. I am not lost in the story. But with STARTERS the writing was super clean. I forgot the fact that I was actually reading a book, and I got lost in the story. I love when this happens. Very nicely done!

2) The characters were worth caring about. The main character, Callie, had already been through losing her parents at the start of the story, but she still had a younger brother to take care of. And yes, there is nothing like younger children in danger to really up the stakes in a story. (but it's not a scary thing, so don't let this dissuade you.)

3) I have to mention to cover. It's so haunting (sort of like in that ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD kind of way). It fits in with YA covers on the market yet is distinct enough to stand out. It does a great job drawing in the casual browser, and the story follows through.

4) The story is unique. First off, it has a great premise, and then, not far into the story at all, came a plot twist I loved. It immediately upped the suspense and was super-well done.

5) This was a story I didn't want to put down. And this was a book I totally want to read the sequel to. I wish I had it sitting in my hands already.

So, in short, STARTERS is highly recommended for fans of DIVERGENT or MATCHED, boys and girls, 7th grade and up. Loved it!


Source of book: From publisher by request on Netgalley

Oh, and I kind of love the book trailer, too!



From Amazon:

In the future, teens rent their bodies to seniors who want to be young again. One girl discovers her renter plans to do more than party--her body will commit murder, if her mind can't stop it. Sixteen-year-old Callie lost her parents when the genocide spore wiped out everyone except those who were vaccinated first--the very young and very old. With no grandparents to claim Callie and her little brother, they go on the run, living as squatters, and fighting off unclaimed renegades who would kill for a cookie. Hope comes via Prime Destinations, run by a mysterious figure known only as The Old Man. He hires teens to rent their bodies to seniors, known as enders, who get to be young again. Callie's neurochip malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her rich renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, even dating Blake, the grandson of a senator. It's a fairy-tale new life . . . until she uncovers the Body Bank's horrible plan. . . .

Enjoy!

12 comments:

Heather said...

You've convinced me, I'm adding it to my to-read list!

PJ Hoover said...

Heather, you won't be sorry!

Jenn@OwlReadIt said...

I couldn't agree more! I absolutely loved this book! It's so well written, I know what you mean by losing yourself in it. I can't wait to buy a copy :)

Glad you enjoyed it!

Jenn@OwlReadIt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PJ Hoover said...

Glad you enjoyed it, too, Jenn! I think it's going to hit big (i hope so). And yes, I totally want a paper copy too :)

Angela Brown said...

Sounds like something suspenseful and intriguing. Definitely adding to my TBR list.

Valia Lind said...

I've been hearing awesome things about this book! I cant wait to get my hands on it! Thanks for sharing. And I totally get what you mean "forget you were reading" :-)


http://wordsareinnermusic.blogspot.com/2012/02/walk-in-park-with-jennifer-archer.html

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Angela and Valia! It is totally worth reading! one of my favorites so far this year.

Miriam Forster said...

Ooo! *shivers*

I remember hearing about this book a while ago. It sounds so creepy-good.

PJ Hoover said...

Miriam, it is totally creepy good! You will like!

Mama Lee said...

Definitely want to read this one! Added it to my to-read list!

PJ Hoover said...

You won't be sorry, Mama Lee!