(and don't forget to check below for the giveaway!)
FRACTURE by Megan Miranda (Walker, January 17, 2012)
I managed to pick up a copy at ALA Midwinter and pretty much devoured the book in one quick night. And now I give you...
FIVE REASONS TO READ FRACTURE!
1) It's about a girl who is trapped below ice for eleven minutes and lives with no brain damage. Or does she have brain damage? First off, I'm going to give this book huge kudos for such a fantastic concept. The idea of falling below ice is etched into our minds as something totally terrifying, and FRACTURE delivers.
2) Now for the second part. Does she really have zero brain damage? Or did something go wrong? Megan Miranda keeps us guessing until the very end. We don't know if the main character, Delaney, is all there or if she is imagining things or even making things up. The mystery in the story is crafted so well and dished out one little piece after the next.
3) I did mention I couldn't put it down, right? Because I just had to know what was going to happen. It's a fast, engaging read and one you won't want to stop reading until you're done. So make sure to set aside a good four hours (or whatever your reading speed happens to be) to finish this book.
4) The romance. Yes, there is romance, and yes, it works for me. I mean, there's the whole best friend thing, and the mysterious guy thing, and both are captivating and vying for attention. And I love how Delaney doesn't know what to do and who to trust.
5) So the book's not fantasy and it's not paranormal. It's kind of this in-between realistic mystery that is so unique in the current market.
In short, FRACTURE is totally worth the read. It's creepy and mysterious and completely engaging. Recommended for boys or girls, seventh grade and up.
Source of book: From publisher at ALA Midwinter
Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine
-despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?
Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?
For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death.
Now for your chance to win an ARC of this amazing book! It's easy! Two things to note...
1) This giveaway is open until 12:01 am on April 13, 2012
2) Contest is US and Canada only!
To enter, fill out the Rafflecopter form below.
a Rafflecopter giveaway