"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Monday, April 23, 2012

TLA—It's all about the Books! And the other stuff!

Last week was a crazy three days of activity filled with:
  • driving to Houston (with the lovely company of Jessica Lee Anderson and E. Kristin Anderson (no relation))!
  • a detour book club visit to West Columbia, Texas (best group of teens ever. They were awesome!)
  • pictures with Darth Vader and a Storm Trooper. (we even knew one of the storm troopers...how bizarre is that?) 
  • dinner with some of my favorite writing pals!
K. A. Holt, Me, E. Kristin Anderson, Nikki Loftin, Sam Clark, Bethany Hegedus, and Jessica Lee Anderson
  • Meeting Judy Blume (being one of the first in line, and getting photobombed by K. A. Holt)
 

  • the first ever YART Texas Tea (what a blast! I loved talking about my book to people who wanted to hear)
Christina Mandelski, Me, and Joy Preble at the Texas YART Tea
  • our annual Texas Sweethearts & Scoundrels Reception (200 brownies officially GONE!)
  • special dinner plans!
  • the TT4L teen event (where I was at the table just next to Orson Scott Card)
  • seeing all sorts of people I adore

And of course, then there were the books. I managed to contain myself pretty well, but I wanted to highlight some of the titles I am most excited for!

IN THE MIDDLE GRADE CATEGORY

FIVE ANCESTORS OUT OF THE ASHES #1: PHOENIX by Jeff Stone (Random House, September 25, 2012)
We share an agent and a love of kung fu :)




VORDAK DOUBLE TROUBLE by Scott Seegart & John Martin (Egmont, August 28, 2012)
Who doesn't love this favorite super-evil villain?


 DARKWATER by Catherine Fisher (Dial, September 27, 2012)
Her books are just so unique and intriguing!



IN THE YOUNG ADULT CATEGORY

PASSENGER by Andrew Smith (Feiwel & Friends, October 2, 2012)
I can't wait to read this sequel!


SHADOWS by Ilsa Bick (Egmont, September 25, 2012)
Again, a sequel I've been dying to read!


LEGACY OF TRIL: SOULBOUND by Heather Brewer (Dial, June 19, 2012)
Amazing cover! Heather Brewer!


THE CROWN OF EMBERS by Rae Carson (Greenwillow, September 18, 2012)
Yes, sequel, again, of a book I loved!


ETTIQUETTE ESPIONAGE by Gail Carriger (Little, Brown, February 13, 2013)
So intrigued about this one!



IN THE YOUNGER READER CATEGORY

PLUTO VISITS EARTH by Steve Metzger & Jarod D. Lee (Orchard, August 1, 2012)
I am all about the Pluto love!
 

PICK UP YOUR PEN: THE ART OF HANDWRITING by Monica Dengo (Owlkids Books, March 13, 2012)
My daughter couldn't get her hands on this one fast enough!


And even though I should perhaps have better things to do with my time, I could not resist photoshopping this picture of E. Kristin Anderson, Jeanette Larson, and me. I've always wanted to go to Stonehenge :)



11 comments:

Kristin Rae said...

Oh you were so much better at the picture taking than I was. How great that you got to share your book with so many new people! And it was lovely to finally meet you in person :)

storyqueen said...

Gosh, PJ, you make me really want to be a Texan! What an incredible event...and the fun you guys and gals have!!

Shelley

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Krisin Rae! it was so great to finally meet you in real like! And actually, i stole many of my pictures from Facebook. I kind of fell off the picture wagon.
P.s. let's meet again soon!

Hey Shelley! I want you to be a Texan. We have way more fun. So go ahead and move here, okay :)

DJL said...

Love all of your pictures, I wish mine would come out that nicely! :) Congratulations on getting the word out about your books. It was nice to meet you in person, like "You're Roots in Myth!"

PJ Hoover said...

It was so great to meet you too! And I loved that you knew my blog name! Made my day! Hopefully we can see each other again sometime soon.

Angela Brown said...

Looks like you've had some serious fun and the pictures definitely show it.

Love the look of some of the ones you've highlighted.

PJ Hoover said...

So much fun, Angela! Next year it's in Fort Worth. Are you going to go?

Miriam Forster said...

OMG a new Jeff Stone book?!?! *makes grabby hands*

Someday I will come to such things and meet you and there will be awesomeness. *dreams*

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Miriam! Maybe next year! And I had no idea there was a new Jeff Stone book coming out. So very cool!

Jessica Lee Anderson said...

This post is just fab! Love your recent reviews too!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Jessica! I was psyched with the books they were handing out this year. So many good ones! And so glad you got be a fangirl to Judy Blume!!!