"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, May 04, 2012

Five on "May the Fourth"

May the Fourth be with you!*

I've been a little brief here at the blog, and I'm pretty sure I can come up with five good reasons for this. No, I know, I'm not trying to make excuses. There is actually an even better reason than any of these five, but I'll leave it at these.

1) I have been back in revisions and loving it. What's nice about revisions? When you feel like you are actually getting close and you received awesome, constructive comments from your agent on how to make your story even better. It's great for motivation. So yeah, revisions.

2) I have 4 HOURS of dodgeball on the agenda for today. Yes, it's Field Day at the elementary, and I signed up for dodgeball shifts. My whistle is ready. My blog entry is almost complete :)

3) It's actually been way too long since I've read a book on craft, so I picked up

SAVE THE CAT by Blake Snyder (Michael Wiese Productions, May 25, 2005))


and after only one chapter, am hooked. Sure, I read a ton, and that is an awesome way to keep up with writing and the market, etc. But I forgot how really important it is to step back and focus on the craft of writing, especially when deeply involved in (1) above.

4) I am LOVING both these books!

THE WISE MAN'S FEAR by Patrick Rothfuss (DAW, March 1, 2011) - my audio listen



INSURGENT by Veronica Roth (Katherine Tegen Books, May 1, 2012) - my print read



5) *Ok, this has nothing to do with why I haven't blogged, but I cannot claim to be a proper nerd without in some way acknowledging Star Wars Day.

May the Fourth be with you!



6 comments:

Kristin Rae said...

YAY for revisions! There's nothing like making that MS shiny and pretty. I have Save The Cat, but have been selective about the sections I've read. I should read through it before starting my next project, for sure! Studying the craft of writing needs to be a priority. I've been winging it for too long. lol.
NEED Insurgent! I might go one up today....

PJ Hoover said...

I love the feeling! And I forget how good it feels :)
I'm really happy to be reading through the Save the Cat. I really feel like, at this stage in my revisions, there are so many things that will make a big difference.
Hope your weekend is great!

Kristin Rae said...

haha I just love typos. I guess I should edit my comments before clicking publish. lol. meant to say I might go get one today, or I might pick one up today. it was a combo ;) But it's now almost 9pm and I'm still in my pajamas from this morning. :) It's been a great day!

Happy weekend!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I must read Save the Cat.

Nora MacFarlane said...

Save the Cat is a great read! Four HOURS of dodge ball...

PJ Hoover said...

i hear you about typos! Too many times I click publish, and then it's too late!

Yes, Caroline! Read it and we can discuss. I am getting so much out of it so far.

Glad to hear you've found it helpful, Nora! It seems like a really approachable book. And yes, four hours...

:)