"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Friday, June 01, 2012

Photos on a Friday

The truth is that I never loved my old author photos. They were fine, but (1) I always wanted outside photos, and (2) they felt so canned to me. So when it came time to send an author photo in to Tor for publicity, I decided it was time for a new one. I called up a friend (thank you!) who said she wouldn't mind taking pictures of me, and we scheduled the photo shoot for that Sunday (because I needed the picture by Monday).

Yeah, sure, Sunday came and it was RAINY and WINDY. But my friend and I braved the wind, the rain, and an entire horde of slugs (seriously, they were everywhere). Anyway, 301 pictures later, and here is what I came up with. (I seriously owe her a bottle of wine or something.)


First, there is the basic headshot. This was about the second to last photo taken of the 301. I'm laughing so hard because we've just discovered the slug horde. I am sitting on it and have been for the last half hour. This is "Tricia with the Slugs."




But the thing was, when I set out, I really wanted a photo against bricks. I have this thing for bricks (especially antique ones), and I thought bricks would make an awesome background. Well, sure, the bricks were cool, but my jacket pretty much completely didn't stand out. Also, notice how the rain and wind has not totally killed my hair yet in this photo since it was one of the first ones. This is "Tricia with the Bricks."



So I colored each of the bricks in Photoshop.



And then I played around and applied a bunch of different filters for fun. This is the "fresco" filter. It makes me feel very chic.




The final shot that worked was the cows. Yes, you guessed it, this is "Tricia with the Cows."



But plain old color seemed a bit boring, so I went with Black & White.



But the trees provided such a nice, spooky background that I thought sepia would work better.



Not to mention no one would even know (or care) there were cows, so I cropped them out.




And that's basically how 2 hours of picture taking and 301 photos can turn into three new author pics :)

 Hope you all have a great weekend!

18 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for sharing. My favorite is the first picture. It's such a great picture of you.

Christine Marciniak said...

I love the pictures!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Natalie! I was pretty tired of smiling, but funny enough, the laugh ending up working.

Thanks, Chris!

Matthew MacNish said...

My favorite is the colored bricks before the filters. I'm not sure why, but it's so much fun!

Matthew MacNish said...

Although, I would like to see you use an author photo where you're wielding a Naginata or a Guan-Dao. that would be so full of badassery!

Marcia said...

I love it when friends can take pictures, because that's how you REALLY get enough shots to make sure there are a few you like.

I think my favorite is the first one, too. :)Pretty, relaxed, nice contrast.

Angela Brown said...

All that picture fun! Then time spent photoshopping to your heart's content. Love the different ones shown.

PJ Hoover said...

I love the colored bricks, Matt. I was originally so bummed at the plain brick contrast, but when I started coloring them, I got new hope...kind of like revisions.

So true, Marcia! My friend was so patient and didn't laugh at me too much at all :)

Angela, I just adore playing around in Photoshop. It's so much fun. Thanks! New pics are always nice.

Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

I love the 1st one and the last one:) You look so beautiful and happy!

PJ Hoover said...

Aw, thanks, Melissa! you just totally made my day! Beautiful and happy are two great places to be. Thank you!

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Matt, the Kung Fu weapons would be awesome. Next round of author photos.

Rena said...

They're all awesome. I really love the first one, although, I am shuddering at the slugs. ACK!

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Rena! And I know! The slugs! They were slimy and so gross!

Shannon Hitchcock ~ Children's Writer said...

I like the last picture. It looks more natural and I'm a sucker for black and white.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Who would've thought slugs and cows could make for good pictures. You look fantastic in all of them.

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Shannon! I loved the spooky effect of the black and white and the trees!

Aw, thank you, Tricia! It must be because of the cows and slugs! :)

Miriam Forster said...

Hahaha. Tricia with the Slugs is my favorite. But they are all awesome. :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks, Miriam! I really should have taken a picture of the slugs :)