The truth is that I never loved my old author photos. They were fine, but (1) I always wanted outside photos, and (2) they felt so canned to me. So when it came time to send an author photo in to Tor for publicity, I decided it was time for a new one. I called up a friend (thank you!) who said she wouldn't mind taking pictures of me, and we scheduled the photo shoot for that Sunday (because I needed the picture by Monday).
Yeah, sure, Sunday came and it was RAINY and WINDY. But my friend and I braved the wind, the rain, and an entire horde of slugs (seriously, they were everywhere). Anyway, 301 pictures later, and here is what I came up with. (I seriously owe her a bottle of wine or something.)
First, there is the basic headshot. This was about the second to last photo taken of the 301. I'm laughing so hard because we've just discovered the slug horde. I am sitting on it and have been for the last half hour. This is "Tricia with the Slugs."
But the thing was, when I set out, I really wanted a photo against bricks. I have this thing for bricks (especially antique ones), and I thought bricks would make an awesome background. Well, sure, the bricks were cool, but my jacket pretty much completely didn't stand out. Also, notice how the rain and wind has not totally killed my hair yet in this photo since it was one of the first ones. This is "Tricia with the Bricks."
So I colored each of the bricks in Photoshop.
And then I played around and applied a bunch of different filters for fun. This is the "fresco" filter. It makes me feel very chic.
The final shot that worked was the cows. Yes, you guessed it, this is "Tricia with the Cows."
But plain old color seemed a bit boring, so I went with Black & White.
But the trees provided such a nice, spooky background that I thought sepia would work better.
Not to mention no one would even know (or care) there were cows, so I cropped them out.
And that's basically how 2 hours of picture taking and 301 photos can turn into three new author pics :)
Hope you all have a great weekend!