"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, June 21, 2012

THE WISE MAN'S FEAR by Patrick Rothfuss

...being the sequel to the amazing THE NAME OF THE WIND by Patrick Rothfuss (DAW, 2007) which I review a couple months ago here.

Here's a question for you? What book can you listen to for 45 hours on audio and then be wishing it would just keep going on forever?

Yes! You got it! (Okay, I guess the title of the blog post gave it away.)

THE WISE MAN'S FEAR by Patrick Rothfuss (Daw, March 1, 2011)




Read this book (or start with THE NAME OF THE WIND if you haven't yet read that) because...

1) You wonder what the wise man does in fact fear.

2) You want the highest quality fantasy in the world today. Yes, it is that good. Seriously, this is epic fantasy at its very best. After reading both books written thus far, the only thing that keeps me from beating my head on the desk and giving up writing entirely is the fact that Pat Rothfuss worked a crazy long time on these books. Go, Pat!

3) You love losing yourself in a masterfully created world. And if you choose the audio option, you'll have 45 hours in which to do the losing.

4) You loved Kvothe in THE NAME OF THE WIND and now you're looking for him to grow way more as a character. Yes, he even has some serious romance. I was kind of a bit shocked because this had just not happened yet. Go, Kvothe! Woot!

5) You want to be able to talk about it with all your fantasy-loving friends. Because trust me, this is the series people will be talking about for years to come. Do you really want to be left behind? I didn't think so.

Completely and highly and utterly recommended. 
Best suited for adults and older teens. See (4) above.


From Amazon:

In The Wise Man's Fear, Kvothe searches for answers, attempting to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, forced to reclaim the honor of his family, and travels into the Fae realm. There he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist, and who no man has ever survived...until Kvothe. Now, Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero and learns how difficult life can be when a man becomes a legend in his own time.


Oh, and on a final note, if you don't read Patrick Rothfuss' blog, then start today.

Source of book: Purchased from Audible.com







4 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

I bought The Name of the Wind for my teen daughter for Christmas, and she finished it in a week and was begging to get The Wise Man's Fear on her Kindle immediately after. I'm not one to deny anyone their love of reading, so I kicked in.

Now, as awesome as that first paragraph (of my comment) was, I'm ashamed to admit I STILL haven't read Rothfuss. Being a huge fantasy fan since LOTR in grade school, I KNOW I have to read his books, and I will, I just haven't had time.

I discovered Rothfuss about two years ago, when I heard that George Martin called him the best new fantasy author (I'm probably paraphrasing, and the comment was probably old), but I think I haven't gotten around to reading it because I spent a lot of time last year finishing Martin's books, and reading a lot of 1000 page fantasy novels leaves less time for other books.

And there are so many good books!

Also, I need to email you.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I haven't read either book but love high fantasy. I'll have to check these books out, especially if I can get them in audio version. Thanks for the review.

Angela Brown said...

I've read a few reviews for The Name of the Wind and they've all been stellar. I've had big focus on YA so I haven't read much adult high Fantasy. I do need to make sure both of these make it on my TBR list.

PJ Hoover said...

They are amazing, Matt. But I understand how they can take so much time. Try to audio on your drives about town and see how that goes.

You're welcome, Natalie! As far as new fantasy goes, they rise to the top completely!

Hey Angela, I get the whole focus on YA thing. I try to do most of my audio listens as adult fantasy just to help break it up a bit.