"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Sunday, July 08, 2012

RED SHIRTS by John Scalzi

I am entering the world of being totally spoiled now that I have a couple books coming out from Tor. I email and ask nicely for a book, and magically it comes in the mail. I love that. So of course I put this book on the top of my list!

RED SHIRTS by John Scalzi (Tor, June 5, 2012)



Read this book because:

1) It is the most I have ever laughed aloud while reading a book. Seriously, no matter where I was, I could not stop myself from giggling. And it's not just the plot. It's the...

2) ...dialogue. We're talking the characters banter back and forth and say the funniest things. And there is no reason to be a sci-fi nerd to appreciate this banter. It's just plain funny adult humor. It reminds me of talking with my co-workers back when I was still at the engineering job. *love*

3) You love Star Trek. You think the whole Red Shirt thing is hilarious.

4) You are looking for a book with surprising depth. Seriously, the main bulk of the book was just funny. And then it got all serious and really surprised the heck out of me and made me think about life, the universe, and everything.

5) You're kind of tired of books taking themselves so seriously. You want to just step back and enjoy a book. You don't want to think about the writing. You want to get lost in a great book.

As a total first for me, I loved this book so much, I am next going to listen to the audiobook version (which has Wil Wheaton narrating). This book goes on my best reads of the year for sure. I only wish I could dive into the world and become a part of it. What fun! Highly recommended!

(are you convinced yet?)

Source of book: From publisher by request


From Amazon:
Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It’s a prestige posting, and Andrew is thrilled all the more to be assigned to the ship’s Xenobiology laboratory. Life couldn’t be better…until Andrew begins to pick up on the fact that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship’s captain, its chief science officer, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) at least one low-ranked crew member is, sadly, always killed. Not surprisingly, a great deal of energy below decks is expendedon avoiding, at all costs, being assigned to an Away Mission. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues’ understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is…and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.






2 comments:

Miriam Forster said...

Jealous! I want to read this book very, very badly. We'll have to see if I can put it on my bookstore order wishlist. :)

PJ Hoover said...

That's right! you now have magic bookstore powers. Can you read it while on duty? :)