"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Former Debut: Gae Polisner, Class of 2k11

Before I introduce today's former debut, I really want to thank you all for all your support in this series of posts. It is so much fun to do, and so great to see what former debut authors are up to. So, thank you!

And on with it, today, please help me welcome Gae Polisner as our former debut!

*****

Name: Gae Polisner
Debut Group: Class of 2K11
Debut novel: THE PULL OF GRAVITY (fsg/Macmillan)


Hi, Gae! Thank you for visiting!


PJH: Okay, so it’s been more than a year since you graduated from your debut class. Personally, I miss the heck out of knowing what my classmates are up to. So give us the low-down. What have you been up to in the last year? New books? New degrees? New pets? What has been going on, and what do we have to look forward to from you in the future?

GP: Writing-wise, I finally sold my next YA to Algonquin Books. I’m really excited to be working with Elise Howard who is starting the YA division there. Because it’s a new division, it will take a bit longer for the book to come out, so I’m practicing patience and focusing on writing next books. I’ve been bouncing between two upper YA’s that are written but need to be (hugely) revised, and a new YA that I started. And of course, my women’s fiction that I’d like to get back to, calls to me constantly in the background.

Life-wise, I continue to spend my days parenting and swimming and, working my part-time day job as a divorce mediator, not to mention maintaining my blogs, and hanging on facebook and twitter. My days are pretty full, and go way, way, way too fast.

 THE PULL OF GRAVITY by Gae Polisner (FSG, May 10, 2011)



PJH: If you could summarize to a debut novelist the best part of being a member of an author group like the“Class of” groups, what would you say?

GP: In the beginning you join for the sake of your book and marketing support; in the end you stay for the sake of your well-being and the camaraderie and emotional support. ;) Here’s the thing: No one knows better what you are going through – both highs and lows – than another debut author.


PJH: Though I absolutely loved being a debut author, I’m really thrilled with all the experience I’ve gained since. What advice would you give to those who are debuting now? What do you wish you had known when you started out?

GP: The advice I would give is the advice I got: write a good book. Write the best book you can. That is really the only thing that you can control.


PJH: In addition to writing the next mega-million bestselling novel, what do you want to accomplish in the next five years? Do you want to write five more books? Get your black belt in Kung Fu? Walk the Great Wall of China? Let’s hear it.

GP: Well, I’m about to attempt one of my biggest goals next weekend: A five-mile open water swim. After that (er, I plan to succeed, can you tell?), I’ll probably want to try six, then 8, then 10… I’m not much of an athlete on land, but in the water, I’m pretty capable. I also really want to get back to my women’s fiction and get it published. I first got agented with that – not my YA -- but never sold either of my two manuscripts. I have a publisher or two interested, if I could just find time for revisions. There’s actually lots of writing I still want to do. Oh yeah, and The Pull of Gravity has been optioned for film, so it would be pretty cool if the next five years held a movie premiere.


PJH: Anything else you want to add? Five reasons to read your book? A picture of your writing space? How you celebrated when you signed your contract? Your choice!

GP: Hmmm. Five reasons to read The Pull of Gravity:

1. The characters are quirky and real;
2. It’s poignant, but also funny;
3. It’s a classic story of friendship – of how friends can save us when everything else is falling apart;
4. There’s a road trip with adjoining hotel rooms, and some, um, unique (?) kissing on a bus;
5. Yoda and Steinbeck in the same book? Come on. Resist that, you know you cannot. ;)




PJH: Thank you so much for being here! And good luck with everything in the future!

GP: Thanks, PJ, Back atcha!



*****

Bio:
Gae writes young adult and women’s fiction. When Gae’s not writing, she swims. When she’s not swimming, she’s often thinking about cake. She likes cake and wishes she had some now. She lives on Long Island with her great family, who, despite their greatness, doesn’t often make her cake. She’s clearly hungry while writing this bio.

*****

Thanks for helping me celebrate former debuts! And if you are a former debut and are interested in being featured, check out this post here!


3 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

Why is she standing in a pool with her clothes on? I don't know why, but I like it.

PJ Hoover said...

It is a really good question, Matt! I wondered it myself. The best I came up with is that standing in water defies gravity a bit. You think this is it?

gae polisner said...

Thanks for having me, PJ.
Matt, the water thing was a bit of fun after my photo shoot. My then-agent thought my book jacket photo should be a little professional but I wanted to be in my wetsuit, so this was my compromise ;) after we were done with a bunch of shots out of the water, I waded in. :)