"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What I'm Reading: ROOTLESS by Chris Howard

Even if Chris Howard weren't my agent-brother, I would have been psyched to read this book!

ROOTLESS by Chris Howard (Scholastic, November 1, 2012)



Five things about ROOTLESS:

  1. The whole concept of building trees is AWESOME! Yes, even if there were still trees in the world, I would still want one built for me. With glowing lights. I kind of want one now in my hot, Texas backyard to provide some shade-I-desperately-need. When my Bradford Pear out front finally dies, I am searching out Banyan. 
  2. This story is seriously crazy and cool and out there! It took me in directions I never expected when I started reading the book. I expected a dystopian similar to those I've been reading. What I got? Something totally cool and different!
  3. I adore that the cover matches the story! Different. Eye-catching. Way cool. Sure to appeal to boys and girls, just like the story.
  4. Touch of romance? Yes! Somehow it sneaked in there when I wasn't even expecting it and from a completely different direction than I expected. And I kind of adored that!
  5. This book takes so many different turns and leaves so much open, I can seriously hardly wait until next year when I get my hands on book 2! Well done, Chris, on making the story complete while still leaving so much open!

In short, ROOTLESS is highly recommended for boys (finally!) and girls, fans of dystopian, those who haven't yet been introduced to dystopian, fans of sci-fi, seventh grade and up. It's fast and scary and has such a freaky and vivid vision of the world of the future. Bring on book two! 




From Amazon:

17-year-old Banyan is a tree builder. Using salvaged scrap metal, he creates forests for rich patrons who seek a reprieve from the desolate landscape. Although Banyan's never seen a real tree--they were destroyed more than a century ago-his missing father used to tell him stories about the Old World. Everything changes when Banyan meets a mysterious woman with a strange tattoo-a map to the last living trees on earth, and he sets off across a wasteland from which few return. Those who make it past the pirates and poachers can't escape the locusts . . . the locusts that now feed on human flesh. But Banyan isn't the only one looking for the trees, and he's running out of time. Unsure of whom to trust, he's forced to make an alliance with Alpha, a beautiful, dangerous pirate with an agenda of her own. As they race towards a promised land that might be a myth, Banyan makes shocking discoveries about his family, his past, and how far people will go to bring back the trees.


Source of book: Netgalley



7 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

Awesome. Sounds like a great read for any arborist.

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, Matt! It's a really great read, and I LOVE the whole tree thing :)

Chris Howard said...

MAY THE FOREST BE WITH YOU... ALWAYS

PJ Hoover said...

Okay, that is the best tagline ever. You need to totally write that in my copy of the book whenever I see you IRL.

Chris Howard said...

will do :)

Angela Brown said...

Ref: May the forest be with you."

That is really awesome. Sounds like a wonderful addition to my TBR list. Off I go to update it :-)

PJ Hoover said...

It is great, Angela! You will love it!