"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Former Debut: Michele Corriel, Class of 2k10

It's been a couple weeks since our last former debut, but this week, I'm so happy to welcome Michele Corriel to my blog as the former debut!

*****

Name: Michele Corriel
Debut Group: Class of 2K10
Debut novel: FAIRVIEW FELINES: A NEWSPAPER MYSTERY

Hi, Michele! Thank you for stopping by!


PJH: Okay, so it’s been two years since you graduated from your debut class. Personally, I miss the heck out of knowing what my classmates are up to. So give us the low-down. What have you been up to in the last few years? New books? New degrees? New pets? What has been going on, and what do we have to look forward to from you in the future?

Michelle: So much has happened in the last two years! First of all, the publisher of Fairview Felines: A Newspaper Mystery went out of business. Yes, I know. Sad. Very sad. And then I read about an ebook publisher who was looking for out of print books for middle graders and teens. I thought, Hey, that’s me! So contacted the editor/publisher of Ambush Books and they were interested in the Newspaper Mysteries, as a series! They asked if I had a second book, and of course, I just happened to have one. 

This August both Newspaper Mysteries – Fairview Felines and True Lies were released as ebooks!

Talk about making lemonade out of lemons. Not only was I able to keep my first book alive but I was able to get the second book published as well. Ambush Books has asked me to write a short story using Thomas Weston and his buddies in Fairview – which I’m working on – and we’ll see about a third book. I do have a great idea for one. But I don’t want to jump the gun here!

In January, my first non-fiction picture book will be released by Mountain Press, Weird Rocks. I’m very excited about this project as it is near and dear to my … husband’s heart! He’s a geologist and an avid rock hound. My entire house is filled with rocks. So I just had to do this book. Besides, it’s a lot of fun writing about all those weird rocks in the world (rocks that float, rocks from outer space, and even rocks made from poop!).

FAIRVIEW FELINES by Michele Corriel (October 5, 2010)


PJH: If you could summarize to a debut novelist the best part of being a member of an author group like the “Class of” groups, what would you say?

Michelle: It’s definitely the friendships you develop. No one understands what it’s like having your first book released like another debut author. It’s like parenthood. If you don’t have kids, you just don’t get it.

WEIRD ROCKS by Michele Corriel (January 2013)


PJH: Though I absolutely loved being a debut author, I’m really thrilled with all the experience I’ve gained since. What advice would you give to those who are debuting now? What do you wish you had known when you started out?

Michelle: If you are a debut author then you already know about all the work that people don’t talk about – marketing, blogging, tweeting, reading blogs, keeping up with the tweets, getting and giving away swag, contests, plus Pinterest, Linked In and whatever else new social media is popping up every day. (I just got invited to Google+)

But the most important thing, I would say, is not to forget your creative self. It’s so easy to focus on the marketing and forget about the second novel (or third).

TRUE LIES by Michele Corriel (July 7, 2012)


PJH: In addition to writing the next mega-million bestselling novel, what do you want to accomplish in the next five years? Do you want to write five more books? Get your black belt in Kung Fu? Walk the Great Wall of China? Let’s hear it.

Michelle: Travel is always on my dance card. Besides that I’d like to just keep getting better as a writer. I love to challenge myself and I find I’m writing about more and more complicated topics as I go on.


PJH: Thank you so much for being here! And good luck with everything in the future!


*****


Thanks for helping me celebrate former debuts! And if you are a former debut and are interested in being featured, check out this post here!

No comments: