"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien

Thursday, October 11, 2012

What I'm Reading: ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER

I'll admit it. The thing that pushed me over the edge to read this book (or actually to listen to it on audio) was the movie theater poster. It looked so intriguing and dark and tasty, and so I grabbed it off of Audible.com and started listening.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER by Seth Grahame-Smith (Grand Central Publishing, March 2, 2010)



Here are five things I have to say about ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER:

1) I listened on audio, and though I LOVED the audiobook narration, after checking the Amazon page and seeing all the internal photographs and illustrations I missed, I'm kind of wanting to head to my nearest bookstore to check those out. So if you love audiobooks, this is a great one to choose, but know that you'll miss some cool extras.

2) The book, though it seems so simple in its concept, really make me step back and think about the whole time period, slavery, the struggles everywhere. I love the bizarre slant that it put on everything, and now, every time I think of Abe, I'll know the truth about him.

3) Which speaking of, the way the truth and the fantasy was woven together was seamless. I believed every bit of the story as I was reading, and I enjoyed trying to piece out what was actually real and what was complete fabrication.

4) Don't read this book if you're going to get annoyed at the idea of taking history and turning it a bit on its side. This is a book that takes itself seriously while at the same time managing to have a great time.

5) Read this book if you enjoy alternate histories. Read this book if you're looking for a quick, enjoyable, deep read. Read this book if you love vampires and are looking for something featuring their darker side. Highly recommended!




The Book Trailer



The Movie Trailer


Source of book: Purchased on Audible.com

From Amazon:

Indiana‚ 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his dying mother's bedside. Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire. Gifted with his legendary height‚ strength‚ and skill with an ax‚ Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.

3 comments:

Angela Brown said...

I've been considering this book for some time now. The idea of taking history and give it a nice pretzel turn or two gives me the happy-read-tingles.

Jamie McHenry said...

Thanks for posting this review. I've been on the edge with this book and think I'll dive right in. Sounds so cool!

PJ Hoover said...

Hey Angela and Jamie! i'm glad the review helped push you guys. I am totally glad I read the book and think back on it often!